Trevor Sullivan's Tech Room

Minding the gap between administration and development

MDT 2008 to 2010 Upgrade Successful!

Posted by Trevor Sullivan on 2009/10/15


Yesterday, I upgraded MDT from 2008 to 2010. The high-level steps I followed to upgrade it were as follows:

  1. Uninstall Windows AIK 1.1
  2. Uninstall MDT 2008
  3. Install Windows 7 / 2008 R2 AIK
  4. Install MDT 2010
  5. Open MDT 2010 console and upgrade deployment shares
  6. Test task sequence on virtual machine

Please note: The Microsoft .NET Framework and Windows PowerShell are also both required, but we already had them installed.

The application upgrade went flawlessly, and I only got a couple of warning messages during the deployment share upgrades. Here is what I got (and yes, the share still existed):

Unable to transfer settings to deployment share \\<imageserver>\LTIDeploy$.  If the share still exists, the settings will need to be reconfigured.

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path ‘d:\Distribution\Control\{f3123492-005e-499f-9c9b-982a401e1ff9}\Settings.xml’.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
   at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
   at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.DeploymentPoint.TransferSettings(XmlNode deployNode, String settingsFile)
   at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.DeploymentPoint.UpgradeDeployXML()

For whatever reason, this didn’t negatively impact the deployment point, so I proceeded with testing out our standard Windows XP task sequence for workstation builds. The only errors I experienced were actually in a couple of custom scripts that we wrote, one of which handles Windows XP HAL injection, and the other which sets the computer name for virtual machines by truncating the serial number (we name some computers based on their serial #). After doing some research, it turns out that the DeploySystemDrive task sequence variable no longer existed for some reason. I searched BDD.log for ‘c:’ to see if there was another variables that contained the target OS drive, and sure enough, I found one named DestinationLogicalDrive. After updating the two scripts with this new TS variable, the task sequence completed successfully!

All in all, I would say the experience upgrading from MDT 2008 to 2010 was quite simple. It was completed in under 4 hours of my time. Thanks to the MDT team at Microsoft for making upgrading simple!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: