Trevor Sullivan's Tech Room

Minding the gap between administration and development

ConfigMgr 2012 Beta 2: Configuring the Software Update Point

Posted by Trevor Sullivan on 2011/05/10


The Software Update Point role in SCCM 2012 Beta 2 has a variety of options to be configured:

  • Proxy server settings
    • Hostname
    • Port
    • Credentials
  • SUP ports & SSL certificate security
  • Products to be synchronized
  • Update Classifications
    • Critical Updates
    • Service Packs
    • Security Updates
    • etc.
  • Update languages
  • Synchronization Frequency
  • Synchronization source
    • Microsoft Windows Update
    • An upstream WSUS server
  • Supersedence rules

Configuring SUP Settings

Most of the Software Update Point settings are available under the following console node: \Administration\Overview\Site Operations\Sites.

Note: Just like a web browser, you can use the [Alt] + D keyboard shortcut to set focus to the Address Bar. You can then paste the path in the Address Bar and hit enter.

Right-click the site system that has the SUP role installed, and select Software Update Management Point.

image

This will present you with the dialog shown below. It looks a bit incomplete (mainly because of the Languages tab sitting alone in its row), but this is only a Beta product, keep in mind.

image

Configuring Proxy Settings

Proxy settings can be configured during the initial installation of the Software Update Point (SUP). If you need to configure a proxy after the SUP has already been installed, then you may have some trouble finding where to configure it. You’ll need to navigate to Administration –> Overview –> Site Operations –> Servers (\Administration\Overview\Site Operations\Sites) and Site System Roles, then select the server that holds the SUP role in the right-hand pane. In the bottom console pane, you should see the software update role listed – either double-click it or right-click it and select “Role Properties.”

image

Here is the screen with the proxy settings on it:

image

Initial Update Catalog Synchronization

During the initial synchronization of updates, I went to check on the status of it in the \Monitoring\Overview\System Status\Component Status console page. Since there are quite a number of components that are independently monitored, I typed “wsu” into the search box to filter for WSUS-related component logs.

image

From there, I pulled up the SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER component log in the status message viewer.

image

The full text of the message reads:

WSUS Synchronization failed.
Message: Failed to sync some of the updates.
Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.WsusSyncAction.WSyncAction.SyncUpdates.

After this, I went to the the ConfigMgr Logs folder and pulled up the wsyncmgr.log file and saw the following:

sync: SMS synchronizing updates, processed 1570 out of 1570 items (100%) 
Sync failures summary: 
Failed to sync update 5e03116c-2370-4ac0-80e0-da33f7822026. Error: License agreement not ready. This is a transient state while WSUS is downloading the agreement. Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.WsusSyncAction.WSyncAction.ProcessEulas 
Failed to sync update 0645b81b-edef-42bd-a3a4-99caa872d833. Error: License agreement not ready. This is a transient state while WSUS is downloading the agreement. Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.WsusSyncAction.WSyncAction.ProcessEulas 
Sync failed: Failed to sync some of the updates. Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.WsusSyncAction.WSyncAction.SyncUpdates 
STATMSG: ID=6703 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER" SYS=SCCM01 SITE=LAB PID=1804 TID=3116 GMTDATE=Tue May 10 16:41:28.412 2011 ISTR0="Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.WsusSyncAction.WSyncAction.SyncUpdates" ISTR1="Failed to sync some of the updates" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0 
Sync failed. Will retry in 60 minutes 

After performing another synchronization, the error seems to have cleared up. I didn’t have to accept any license agreements though, as the error message might indicate. Perhaps that will be requested when I go to deploy the updates.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: